Sunday 15 June 2014

2014 Update

Hello All,

I did not fall off the face of the planet but I have been pretty darned busy lately-- my apologies. We had our third annual cleanup day at Reilly Cemetery in early May-- it was nice to see some familiar faces and to make some new connections! We discussed the timing of cleanup days and decided to stay with an annual cleanup/get together/ potluck format in early May. I have since been contacted by new readers who wish to participate-- this is great, the more the merrier.

At the potluck we also discussed the idea of erecting an obelisk with the names of all those known or likely to be buried at Reilly Cemetery. I took the liberty of approaching a monument maker to get an idea of what kind of monument might suit our needs best and, of course, to get an idea of the costs involved. A black granite obelisk with four equal sides would provide sufficient space to record up to 160 names done in a half inch high font-- small yes, but to go bigger would mean a seriously more expensive piece of stone. Black works better than pink with the smaller letters (easier to read). Black would also differentiate the new obelisk from the existing ones while at the same time being of a style compatible with those monuments already in place (my professors would love me for this solution!).

We have started fund raising for this project, which is estimated to cost about $4500 dollars all in, and we have had a nice bit come in to date. However, we still have a ways to go so if you wish to help out please contact me at reillycemeteryproject@gmail.com . I will put you give you the details there of where to send donations.

PS-- last month the Gatineau Valley Historical Society presented me with an award for my efforts at Reilly Cemetery. I am grateful and honoured but I also feel that this award belongs to everyone who has pitched in, gotten dirty, hot and sweaty and who contributed stories, expertise and time to make this project a success. You know who you are, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment