Wednesday 9 May 2012

Another day at Reilly Cemetery

For part of my project I am attempting to map out the Reilly Cemetery as it is today. The place has changed a lot over the years and there may not be as much to record as I might like but I'm giving it a shot. If you've driven by and seen fluttering bits of pink, it's the marking tape on the grid I've been setting up. The grid will help me record the site with some degree of accuracy though I'm doing this pretty low tech-- with measuring tapes and compass (my gps has proven to be not accurate enough--maybe it got dropped once too often) The map won't be perfect but it may be useful at some point. I'm also recording the locations and measurements of the headstone bases that are here and there around the site. With these I hope to maybe figure out which headstone or monument went with which base. There are two sets of identical bases so of course I won't be able to say which exact monument went with which base in those cases. Some of the bases appear to have been moved or jostled while others (so far at least) don't appear to have moved much at all. This will take a while so if you are around and interested, please do drop in and I'll be happy to show you around.


No comments:

Post a Comment